and Superlative Adjectives
One-syllable adjectives. (Едносричкови прилагателни)
Form the comparative and superlative forms of a one-syllable adjective by adding –er for the
comparative form and –est for the superlative. /Образуването на сравнителната и
превъзходна степени на прилагателните, състоящи се от 1 сричка, става като се
добави “er” за сравнителна степен и “est|” за превъзходна)
One-Syllable AdjectiveComparative FormSuperlative Form
long longer longest
• Mary is taller than Max.
• Mary is the tallest of all the students.
• Max is older than John.
• Of the three students, Max is the oldest.
• My hair is longer than your hair.
• Max's story is the longest story I've ever heard.
If the one-syllable adjective ends with an e, just add –r for the comparative form and –st for
the superlative form. /Ако “едносричковото прилагателно” завършва на “е”, просто
добавяме “r” за втората сравнителна степен и “st”за третата превъзходна степен”/
One-Syllable Adjective with Final -eComparative FormSuperlative Form
• Mary's car is larger than Max's car.
• Mary's house is the tallest of all the houses on the block.
• Max is wiser than his brother.
• Max is the wisest person I know.
If the one-syllable adjective ends with a single consonant with a vowel before it, double the
consonant and add –er for the comparative form; and double the consonant and add –est for
the superlative form.
One-Syllable Adjective Ending with a Single
Consonant with a Single Vowel before It